Two-year anniversary of the network
To mark the two-year anniversary of the establishment of the Human Rights Cities Network, we are happy to announce a round-table discussion with cities actors and the United Nations Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, Olivier De Schutter. This consultation will take place online, on the 20th January, 2021, from 10:00 to 12:30.
This round-table will be held through our network, in the context of the Special Rapporteur official visit to the European Union, from the 25th of November, 2020 to the 29th of January, 2021. The visit, at the invitation of the European Union, focuses on the relationship between the internal market and poverty. Olivier De Schutter is paying specific attention to the impacts of socio-economic governance and associated macroeconomic policies in the EU on poverty, inequality, and social exclusion. The response of the EU to the COVID-19 crisis, through the “Next Generation EU” package is another center of interest.
More information about the priorities for the visit can be found here.
The Human Rights Cities Network is currently working with the UN Special Rapporteur team to organise the round-table discussion with cities and local government actors. The purpose is to hear the views of cities actors on the reality of poverty and social exclusion in urban settings. The challenges and what EU policies should focus on to respond to local government’s needs and priorities will be at the center of the debate.
While topics below are by no means exhaustive, the Special Rapporteur would be grateful to discuss topics such as for example:
- Experience and potential of cities and local governments in the eradication of poverty
- Social exclusion from a rights-based perspective
- Impacts of Covid-19 on city and local populations, the ability of municipalities to cope with shocks
- The role of the EU in supporting the cities and local governments’ efforts in the eradication of poverty and social exclusion: opportunities and challenges
- The potential of the European Pillar of Social Rights and its upcoming Action Plan for local government action on poverty and social exclusion
A detailed agenda on the round-table discussion will be shared very soon.
Thank you for contacting us for any question you may have !